What kind of marathon will you run?

I just ran my second marathon. 26.2 miles. I was anxious about it days in advance. One, because I
was not sure how I was going to do. Training was enough to give me enough confidence to not bail, but not so much that I was expecting a fantastic event. Two, because  I knew it was going to hurt. I reminded myself of my initial goal. To run healthy and be happy I was able to run. Some do not have the ability to run at all. I ran. And ran. And ran. It was definitely harder and harder as it progressed, but I ran to the finish. I cried. I held my tears in so it wasn't an all out ugly cry, but I just couldn't keep them in completely.
Afterwards I found myself reflecting on how life is like a marathon. It has ups and downs. It becomes harder and harder. There is a lot of mental coaching to keep going. Life is a long endurance race. Life can feel fatiguing. Life is hard. Marathons are hard.
With this reflections I thought about how I needed to create a certain mindset before starting my marathon. Remembering my goals. This set me up for my expectations and also for experiencing joy while doing a very hard thing. In life how can we do the same? Can we set our minds and expectations in such a way we feel joy and reward mist the difficulty?
If I had entered the start line with anxiety and uncertainty. If I had entered without acknowledging my training. Those 18 mile long runs or the days I cut short in my training, keeping a realistic expectation of myself. Would the experience have been different?
I believe it would have been much more different. I possibly would have run faster than I had trained. I possibly would have doubted, walked, and taken a lot longer to finish. I may have quit.
The marathon of life is no different. Take notice of where you have put your efforts. Take note of what your choices are. Set your expectation in accordance with them. I am fairly certain our  life experiences will change when we do. Life will be hard. With the proper expectations, knowing you abilities at this moment, and remembering you goals. We can change our experiences. They can be hard, joyful, and fulfilling all at the same time.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Month Moments